Sunday, July 26, 2009

Where to start...


Kelly and Emily came by for the weekend (do you like how that sounds all casual..."they stopped by"...like it didn't take an airplane ride and a lot of planning just to get them here and keep them entertained. Yeah - it takes a lot to entertain them.)
So Thursday we went to Schlitterbaun - the largest waterpark in the world. I believe the hype. I also am very glad we started in ghetto Schlitterbaun (the original park) with ghetto tubes that stain your swimsuit black whenever you carry them. Why, you ask, am I glad we started there? Because once we got to the other parks, the lines got HUGE and we were able to feel like we didn't waste our time standing in line forever for a single ride. That night we had a very late night delivery dinner and zonked off pretty quick.

Since we were near San Antonio, we just stayed down there and got up nice and early the next morning to hit the Alamo. Em and Kelly had never seen it so it was a good piece of history.
Making wishes in the wishing pond. Any guesses on what I wished for? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Rancid squirrel. Yuck

Yeah...ummm...hmmmm

Emily and I. Obviously.


We then explored everything there, enjoyed a pleasant afternoon and lunch on the river walk until it was time to head back.

Oh - we stopped for a quick looksie at the rodeo queen hats. Yeah - we ARE that cool!


After San Antonio, we decided to return via the Snake Farm. That's right - the Snake Farm.


This podunk little "zoo" filled with snakes, reptiles of all types, ROUS's (Rodents of unusual size)

...and a variety of animals...many who were in a rather amourous mood. If you know what I mean. Right. Awkward. It got pretty hot so we had some Italian ices and enjoyed them while enjoying the company of other all the other animals. Like this giant turkey, who decided to take a seat next to me. Or under me...or whatever.

I think this looks like a Dabbit. Or a Reer. A rabbit Deer. I have no idea what it was.

I did, however, know what these are. There were four of these gigantigus snakes. We held them, and they started wrapping around our necks and almost strangled us...Okay okay - that's not true. They stayed very obediently behind their glass wall and never once tried to kill us. I promise!!

Kelly at the petting zoo. We didn't buy her a bag of feed so it took some work to get the animals to let her pet them. But eventually this little guy held still for her



After returning to Austin, we rounded out the day by having real downhome Texas BBQ where Emily, in her attempt to have a "light" meal, somehow ordered the biggest plate of food I think I've ever seen.



Me, under the talking Longhorn. It did - it really talked. I swear it's not just in my imagination! Ask Kelly and Emily!


After that, we visited the Cupcake trailor (I guess you'll have to visit Emily's blog for a picture until I steal one of hers) and the rest of South Congress (that's a street. Very long, very cool). Then on our way home, we just happened to have the most perfect timing. We passed the Bat Bridge and everyone was gathering. We decided to quickly park and run over to the bridge to see a gazillion bats fly out from under the bridge. I know - why?, right? I have no idea. It's a total tourist attraction that I'm still trying to figure out.

Can you see the bats? I thought the whole sky would be black. But there still were a lot of bats


Saturday we had a leisurely morning swimming (again - you'll have to refer to Emily's blog until I steal her pictures) followed by a fun movie at the Alamo Drafthouse and then some chill time just hanging and talking at home. Oh yeah, and Yogurt Planet, some window shopping and some souvenir shopping. Then we headed to The Oasis - a famous restuarant. The thing is, you're supposed to go to the Oasis to watch the Sunset. That's what makes this restaurant cool. And about 5,000 other people also think it's cool to go there on a Saturday night.

So we spent a lovely evening watching the Sunset with about a gazillion other people. And yes - there was applause when it was over.

I think that was a first - but it shouldn't be the last. I often feel like applauding after a beautiful sunset. I vote we do it every time we watch one. Who's with me?


I am turning into Mikayla - I cry every time people leave me. I'm getting very tired of saying goodbye. But thanks for coming you guys!!! I miss everyone back home and I'll see you soon!!

4 comments:

Elmer said...

Wow, you quick blogger you! I'm uploading my pictures to snapfish as I write this. I'll let you know when they are up. But it's being reeeealllly slow! Thanks for a fun weekend, Kimi!!

tami said...

It sounds like you had another fantastic weekend! What an awesome hostess you are!! Thanks for sharing via your cute photos and commentary!

And please don't turn into another Mikayla--it breaks my heart to leave her and see her cry!

Melody and Lance said...

Don't you listen to your mom Kimi, if you want to cry you go ahead and do so! ;) I love looking at your blog and seeing all the fun things your doing. Hope you're enjoying it! we miss you!

Kelly said...

We are hot that's all I can say.